Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thoughts on the April Override

I have posted previously about the General Government and Police override requests here.
The other override requests are for the library ($90,000 for books and staff and $54,000 to reopen the North Dartmouth branch). I think that the library should be a priority over some other things that we currently spend more than $90,000 to fund. Cut those things from the budget and give the funds to the library without requiring an override. I think that this override request is being used to avoid having to make other difficult decisions. Knowing that the townspeople value the library, it is selected for a separate override request while the parks, recreation and other spending are not. Are we, the public, being played? It seems so to me. The North Dartmouth branch will have to remain closed in my view. We don't have the money!
I have written about the schools repeatedly. Here, here, and here (in the comments) for example.
As I have pointed out due to the required increases in the foundation budget, the schools will get $1.6 million more this year than last year. Nearly 1/3 of their "priority needs" override request is for non academic teachers and non teaching staff.
It is information technology, not computers, that is transforming our world. The focus on the number of computers is off the mark in my opinion. The important aspect is how our schools are using information technology to educate the children. See my post here on that.
Just last year, the school department closed two elementary schools to save money. Now they want to reopen those schools. The reopening plan does not take into account the long term costs these reopenings and I believe will require additional funds in future years. I would like to see a five year projection of the costs of staffing, maintaining and operating these two schools before approving an override to reopen them. Will we need an additioanl override a year or two from now to sustain these two schools? I think we will. Let's get that all encompassing plan out to the public and vote on it rather than jump into this and then need to go back again for more funds.
I feel that fees for extra curricular activities are justified and should continue. Fees for transportation are a source of revenue and we cannot afford to turn added revenue away.
So that in a nutshell is my take. What do you think? Leave your comments below.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Bill, Some thoughts on our library. I feel that while there is a place for public libraries, their importance has somewhat been diminished by the internet. Perhaps the main role of libraries going into the future should be to focus on providing internet access and having a children's section for those just learning to read. One library is all we need. I am sorry for those in the North end of town who have to travel a bit further but when Southworth was built, the population density was in the southern part of town. Same is true for the Council on Aging. One of the reasons that they didn't get the grant to run the Vaz center was that it was only 3.9 miles from the Dartmouth street location. Making sure that the COA budget for transportation gets protected is very important but I just don't think we can afford two senior centers either. Judging by the comments made by both the COA board and the Friends of the Elderly at the last select board meeting, I think they agree. It is my opinion that minimal overrides are in the best interest of seniors.