Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Punish the voters?

A letter in the Chronicle today brings up a point that has been in the back of my mind for some time now. The writer in the Chronicle feels that the trash fees imposed in Dartmouth are in "punishment "for the voters having rejected the override last year. I hate to admit but I have a similar opinion about some of the measures undertaken. Shutting off streetlights has saved a pittance. I think most residents would be suprised to hear that the town already had to ask the Finance Committee for more money this year for streetlights even though some where shut off. Closing school buildings has strained the capacity of the remaining schools and I have heard no clear answers on what the closings have saved . The trash fees are probably generating twice what it costs to actually pick up the trash. And what more are the DPW workers doing, now that they only have a fraction of the trash to collect? Maybe I just need to pull my tin foil hat down a little tighter, but some of this seems punitive to me. What do you think, are the residents being punished for rejecting the override?
Leave your thoughts by clicking on comments below

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dartmouth residents are punished by much-too-high taxes and by waste.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that our taxes are too high, but hopefully they won't go up all that much higher. Our problem is that Coporate America isn't pitching in for their fair share. We need the split tax, why are all the people that are bearly scraping by footing all of the bills. The business owners who are loaded with cash have got it made. It's a joke! I'm going to start taking my business elsewhere.

Bill Trimble said...

The Select Board voted in December to have a split tax rate for this year. The business rate was set at 140% which reduced the residential rate to the 96-97% rate

Anonymous said...

yes we are ?